Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Cue ball?

One of my favorite things about my son has been his hair. I've thought how convenient it is for him that he has such great hair and his mom's a hairdresser. I've loved hearing everyone say to me, "look at all that hair!" He was born with it parted perfectly on the side. It's beautiful, thick, dark, slightly red, curly when wet....

Until now. Now, I've got a cue ball. Well, that's not true. I've got a cue ball with bangs and a mullet and a weird curl on one side. His hair has been falling out. As soon as I can snap a good picture, I'll post it. Bless his little heart. Apparently it happens sometimes because babies hormones are getting all straightened out and it's just part of the process.

Hmm... maybe that's why mine's been falling out, too? Or we have some strange epidemic happening here in the Dewberry house. I mean, falling out by the HANDFULLS. Every single time I run my hands through my hair. I can't tell you how much there is. Like, everytime I brush my hair after getting out of the shower, I fill up a hairdbrush. Y.U.C.K. This is definitely not something I was expecting, especially 4 months later.

Have I told you lately how much I love my little pumpkin? I honestly remember feeling during those first several weeks like I just wasn't cut out for this. I felt a little overwhelmed and sad because it was hard to figure out what he wanted and he seemed sad so much because he wasn't smiling. Holy cow. I've definitely been bit by the love bug. I'm obsessed with him! He makes the funniest little faces and the huge smile he gives me when we make eye contact is enough to melt my heart forever. I have so many dreams for him. On the one hand, I don't want him to get ANY bigger, but on the other hand, I can't WAIT for him to start really talking and crawling and calling me mommy... Oh, good grief.

Speaking of him getting bigger, we went to his 4 month doctor's appointment. He weighs almost 16 pounds! That's CRAZY! I just can't believe he's gotten so big. I feel like we just moved into size 2 diapers and are almost ready for size 3. I've felt like he was never going to make it into 6 months clothes, but all of a sudden he's fitting comfortably in 9 months. Oh me. This is what I have to look forward to, right?

Have I mentioned that I quit breastfeeding? It was just really hard to continue doing with my work schedule during the holidays. I had the opportunity to work through my lunches to make extra money and decided that it would be better for us if I did that. So, it messed up my supply and I was getting ready to give it up anyway, so figured I'd go ahead and wean. This wasn't so bad. I never had any kind of pain and am really glad I decided to do it. We are both more independent and I can really make sure of how much he's getting which makes life much easier. We made it to 3 1/2 months, though, so I feel pretty proud of myself. He's started eating solids and LOVES it. He hasn't disliked anything I've offered him (which is all of the stage 1 foods). Still getting cereal in all of his formula bottles and staying really full which helps him stay happy for longer period of time (and sleep longer, too - woohoo!).

We haven't seen Jason since 2 days after Christmas and he's coming home tomorrow. I can't tell you how excited our house is to have our daddy coming home. Let me end with that because it reminds me of all the housework I need to do...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Go you for breastfeeding for 3 1/2 months. You gave it a great go!
The hair thing is normal. All of mine went bald on the sides and back. Like a reverse bald man kind of thing.
As for the hair Kyler is 2 and I'm still losing it like that. It will take several months for it to stop doing that. Remember how full and beautiful your hair got when you were pregnant? Well now it's going back to where it was. Don't be surprised if it gets thinner for a bit too.

Jennifer said...

The picture of your baby is precious!