Monday, November 10, 2008

shot to the heart...

Quick update!
Nathan's 2 month doctor's appointment was today. He got such a good report! He weighed in at a whopping 12 lbs. 4 oz and is 24 inches long! That means he's grown 4 inches in 2 months! :) He's in the 90th percentile for his height and weight and he's in the 95th percentile for his head. (typical dewberry, hehe) My little baby is growing up...



He's got excema on his face that I'm having to treat with some Hydrocortisone Ointment. Dr. Jackson doesn't think it will stick with him for the rest of his life, but should be gone by 6 months or so. I've always had pretty sensitive skin so it doesn't surprise me that he does a little, too.



Nathan's been spitting up a lot and with him hating to be on his back it's made me wonder if he has reflux. Dr. Jackson said that it does sound like he may have it, but he's gaining weight great and so unless it starts visibly bothering him or becomes worse, I could just treat it by adding cereal to his formula (he gets 2 bottles of formula a day while he's at the sitter's). Yay! I've been anxious to give him something different as I'm sure he's getting pretty bored with the same ole' formula/breastmilk/formula/breastmilk meal plan. We tried it this afternoon and I must say - he loved it! haha.



(FYI: after doing some research on the whole vaccines=autism debate, we decided to follow our doctor's recommendations of going ahead with the vaccines. We believe that this is the right of every parent to treat their child how they wish. Jason and I feel very strongly that our doctor has been educated far more than we have and having known him most of my life I very strongly trust his opinion.)

He received his first 4 vaccines while we were there. I can't remember right off what all they were for. It was pretty painful to say the least! They had me hold his little arms down while they poked him not once - but three times! :( As soon as he thought it was over, they stuck him again. It was THE SADDEST thing ever. Luckily, it was over quickly and he wasn't looking at me while they were doing it so hopefully he didn't think it was me doing it to him (which was my fear). Here's a picture of his battle wounds...



Dr. Jackson told me that he might have a few side effects from the vaccines like soreness, fatigue, low-grade fever and loose bowels. So, this afternoon my mom came over to see our little trooper. We noticed that while she was holding him he started straining and his face turned bright red. "Uh oh!" we said, "He must be going poo!" Mom stood up with him so I could try to get a better picture of his little legs when suddenly....yep, you guessed it....he exploded. It was coming out his diaper - onto mom's hand - and then onto the floor! lol. Poor Memaw! Normally, she would be the one to quickly come to the rescue and clean up, but since she was holding him, it was up to me! haha. I had to think fast - so we started stripping him and just set him in the empty sink. This led to him "ice skating" in the poo and spreading it all around, but have no fear! With him out of mom's arms, she was able to help me get everything cleaned up (even the floor) and get him into the bath. *PSA: Before you decide to never eat at my house again, I did clorox everything thoroughly!*

So, that sums up our day today. I've got laundry done, dishes washed, baby in bed and now it's time for me to lay down too. Jason's in Pennsylvania and we're missing him badly. Hoping he'll make it home soon and then have several days off for Thanksgiving. Here's to hoping we don't have dreams of needles and mean nurses tonight....

No comments: