Thursday, December 25, 2008

'Tis the Season











Merry Christmas!


It's weird to think that this time last year I was pregant and didn't even know it yet...
This is Nathan's first Christmas and boy has it been fun! It all started with Mason coming up on Thursday. We had so much fun with him this time. I think he's starting to get used to Nathan being around all the time. We are so lucky that Susan and Howard were there in Florida and just happened to be coming back that day. We don't ever mind going to get him, but it's nice to not have to make that 2 1/2 hour trip both ways if we don't have to. So, Thursday night Jason's sister Christy came by to see him and we then had dinner with my parents.



Friday, Mason spent the day with Mr. Mark. They just pal'd around all morning and then picked Jason up from the truck stop at lunch. Mason loves going to the truck stop so this was a real treat for him! He kept telling us that he wanted Santa to bring him a "Mac" truck like his Daddy's. Good thing I'd already gotten him one! Last year, Santa came to Mason at both our house and his mom's house, but now that Nathan's here (and since Mason's getting smarter about Santa) we decided that Santa would only come to the house that he's at Christmas eve night. That way there's no confusion as to why Santa comes to him twice and not to everybody else twice, too. Also, last year Mason had told us that he wanted trucks and cars and "digger things." However, when we went to pick him up to have Christmas with him, he said, "Santa's going to bring me airplanes and helicopters!" Jason and I were like, "oh....no!" and of course rushed around like mad people buying up airplanes and helicopters at the last minute. So, Christmas morning that child had more presents than he could have ever dreamed of. This year, we decided to scale back alot. Especially since we didn't have the pressure of playing Santa, we felt like we could get away with not having to do as much. But, between Jason's grandparents, both sets of my grandparents, Jason's mom, Jason's dad, my parents, Jason's sister, my sisters, and then us - he STILL had tons of stuff! Our boys are so lucky to have such a great family. And Jason and I feel so lucky for them, too! Here are a few picks of him opening our gifts to him...














He's so funny. As soon as he'd finish opening one, he'd be ready for the next and he played with the bubble wrap from someone else's present more than any of these, but oh well. I need another toy box, that's for sure!


Saturday, I had to work and when I got off we had Christmas with my sisters and Mason at Memaw and Big Daddy's house. Rebecca and Christy both were not going to be here for Christmas day so we had to do Christmas for them a little early. My Mom went ahead and gave my dad his present - a Wii! Oh Lord, I don't think my parents' house will ever be the same again....


Jason's mom came over that afternoon and Jason's sister came back again, too. They brought Mason even more gifts, but we couldn't play with them very long because we had to get ready for our 2nd annual Twinkle Tour! This is SO much fun and we are so glad we got to do it again this year. My cousin Alison's husband Jim's family owns a small church-type bus. He drives our Perkins family around in it to look at Christmas lights and we stop at some people's houses for appetizers. Of course, everyone brings their drink of choice which makes it hilarious. Everyone from my 65 year old Aunt and uncle to my youngest cousins were there. My mom kept Nathan for us which was so sweet of her. It was really nice for Jason and I to be able to enjoy ourselves without having to worry about him for a little while. Mason went in her place and got to ride with Big Daddy. He LOVED the lights and had lots of fun with the other kids. I'm not sure if he remembered going last year, but I hope he'll be able to go with us every year.


Sunday, we slept in late and then went to my parents house to play Wii. It was nice to have a day off to not have to do too much. We let Mason stay up late with us that night and watched "Home Alone." He thought he was so big. When I told him that he could stay up late, he was like, "are you going to let Baby Nathan stay up late, too?....He'll probably whine alot." haha. I said, "Nah, this is only for big boys." He grinned real big and climbed up onto the sofa. It was so fun for the 3 of us to hang out together like old times and I think it was good for Mason to see that things haven't changed THAT much with having Nathan here.


Jason took Mason back on Monday and I had to work then we went to my parents house to play Wii. Tuesday was sort of mellow, too, I worked - came home - played Wii. Then, Wednesday the fun started again. I worked that morning, then rushed home to start cooking for Christmas day. I went ahead and made the breakfast casserole and cheese danish for Christmas morning and then made the deviled eggs for us to have with our Christmas lunch. We got all dressed up and went to Susan and Howard's house for a little Christmas party. We had so much fun being with everyone. Nathan wasn't in much of a party mood. I've learned that when he gets sleepy he wants his bed at his house. Kinda' like his Daddy, I guess. :) He was not having me trying to get him to sleep on Susan's bed. So, we had to cut the party short a little. Too bad, because I heard there were lots of holiday cheer shots being taken which would have been fun to watch, but oh well....


Then, this morning, I woke up early to make sure I could get everything started. As soon as Jason and Nathan woke up we went to see Mr. Mark and give him the coffee mug I had made that had the boys' picture on it. My parents and grandparents came over around 9 to exchange gifts. It was so much fun and I hope we make this a tradition! We gave them each 2 mugs with a picture of each boy on both of them. They LOVED them! Jason and I decided to not give each other gifts this year so we could focus more on the kids and since we don't have alot of extra money right now. I wondered if he'd cheat, but luckily neither of us did. I was sure to remind him that this is not tradition, though!


I hated to see my family leave, but kinda' glad they did because I had to quickly get started on our Christmas lunch. I had planned on cooking a ham that I had already bought, but Wednesday, one of my clients brought me a huge beef tenderloin! What a nice gift!! So, we decided to have it instead. Jason and his dad took care of preparing the meet, but I still had to make the green beans, squash casserole, homemade mashed potatoes, rolls and sweet tea. Whew! Luckily, I squeezed a shower in there just before Jason's brother and sister got here. We had so much fun being with them and I'm so glad that everyone enjoyed my food. I am so proud of myself for getting it all taken care of and for it being so yummy. I just hope that one day my boys will tell their wives, "nobody can cook as good as my mama!" :)

After they left we went to my parents house to, you guessed it - play Wii!



1 comment:

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

I have a Mason of my own...don't call him that in the blog but that's his real name.