Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Law-sey Day

I lived at Lake Junaluska in North Carolina for about 10 months after my first year of college. While I was there I worked at the local Belk with a girl who was straight from the hills. And i don't mean the O.C. Hills. She had black, heavily permed hair that went straight down her back to practically her fanny and wore long painted nails. I can't remember her name, but I remember that whenever things got a little stressful, she would say, "Law-sey Day!" Probably like some of us might would say, "Good Grief!"

About this time last night, I was saying a big, long, southern "Law-sey Day!"

Everything was going smoothly, Jason had left Monday afternoon so Nathan and I got up yesterday and did our normal routine. I dropped him off at Ana's and then I went to work. Well, as I had mentioned, he's been running a temperature so I was a little concerned about him throughout the day. I spoke with Ana late that afternoon, and she mentioned that she could meet my mom in town instead of Mom having to drive all the way out to her house to pick Nathan up, since Ana had some running around to do anyway. It wasn't but maybe a half-hour later that Christy called me to tell me that Ana's son Benjamin had thrown up in her car on the way to bring Nathan to meet them. "Great!" I thought. This is what I have to look forward to! I promptly call my Aunt Joyce to make sure she could come to watch Nathan today for me, and thankfully she was happy to do it!

So, I get home and get him ready for bed, put him to sleep and then am trying to catch up on All My Children, when I realize that it's *really* hot in the house. So, I got up to check the thermostat and sure enough - the air was out. See, we like to keep our house pretty cold. I live with a man who's inner furnace never dies down, so when he's here it's usually on 68. When he's not, I'll keep it on 70, but it's still pretty cold compared to some people. That thermostat said it was 76 degrees in here! Like a sauna for somebody like me!! AND I had a baby with a fever trying to sleep in there. :( (you know, it's funny how this stuff ne-ver happens when Jason's home and it can't happen on my day off, of course). But, thank goodness that my sweet Father-in-Law lives close by (ha!) He came out to look at it, got right on the phone with somebody he knew and then reassured me that the man would be out first thing in the morning to look at it.

This was when I was reminded of my mountain friend and her sweet phrase and Lord - did I say it! Because it was then that I realized that not only did I have my sweet little Aunt coming to keep Nathan at my house, but I was having her come into a house with no air, and with a strange air-conditioner man coming to look at the unit and I wasn't going to be there and AHHHHH!!!!

I needed a xanax or something.

We struggled through the night with as little blanket (and clothes) as possible, and I got up early of course, because I was stressing out about what to do, but it really all worked out well. Joyce came around 9 and the air conditioning guy didn't need to come inside and he actually got it working quickly. Oh! And nathan didn't get sick (praise God!), so he's still recovering from this fever thing and we're just hoping that he gets well soon. Now, Jason and I (yes, he surprised us with a short visit) are going to snuggle down deep in our covers and enjoy our cold air. :)

Good night!

No comments: